The Most Advanced System for Neuron Tracing and Reconstruction, Neuron Analysis, and 3D Brain Mapping
Quantify Neuronal Morphology
Neurolucida is the gold standard for creating and analyzing realistic, meaningful, and quantifiable neuron reconstructions from microscope images. Perform detailed morphometric analyses of neurons, such as quantifying:
- the number of dendrites, axons, nodes, synapses, and spines
- the length, width, and volume of dendrites and axons
- the area and volume of the soma
- the complexity and extension of neurons
Researchers have reconstructed and analyzed tens of thousands of neurons using Neurolucida, leading to advances in areas of neuroscience including neurodegenerative diseases, neuropathy, memory, and behavior, and advances in other research fields such as ophthalmology. Neurolucida is cited over 7 times more than all other available neuron tracing programs combined (Halavi, Hamilton, Parekh, & Ascoli, 2012). And, according to another study, Neurolucida is "the most widely used and versatile system to produce neuronal reconstruction." (P. Aguiar, M. Souda, P. Szucs, 2013)
Neurolucida Version 2019
State of the art software for state of the art research
Fully Integrated Microscope Systems
In addition to the software for neuron tracing and analysis, a Neurolucida system includes all necessary hardware (microscope, computer, motorized stage, camera, etc.). On-site installation and training, technical support for the entire system (hardware and software) and research support (to help optimize your experimental design) are included.
Neurolucida on a Microscope
Microscopy hardware and Neurolucida software work in harmony to deliver a powerful, seamless neuron reconstruction system. A typical system includes a microscope, computer, and Neurolucida software. Most of what is visible through the oculars is displayed on the computer monitor with Neurolucida.
Neurolucida fully integrates with your microscope and associated hardware to reduce manual work and to speed up data collection. It can:
- control motorized stages
- control cameras to change or save settings for future use
- operate the focus knob or change objectives
- change filter turrets, filter wheels, and mirror cubes when acquiring fluorescent images or image stacks
Can I upgrade my existing microscope hardware?
- There are two main options when purchasing a Neurolucida system:
1.Purchase a brand new system
2. Upgrade existing microscope hardware
- We typically provide complete turn-key systems include all of the hardware, software and services you will need for your new system.
- If you already have an existing microscope, motorized stage, or camera that you would like to use in a new system, we are happy to help you determine if it would be appropriate to integrate it into a new system rather than purchase all new hardware.
- All of our Neurolucida systems are custom configured based on the specific research needs of each customer.
Neurolucida has been cited in over 6,000 published research papers.
7 times more than all other neuron tracing programs combined.
When you call us you will speak with a person - not an automated system. Talk to us about your hardware, software, or experimental design questions. Our team includes Ph.D. neuroscientists and experts in microscopy, stereology, neuron tracing, and image processing; ready to help you over the phone or online.
3D Brain Mapping
Neurolucida has advanced tools for creating and analyzing 3D reconstructions of brain and spinal cord specimens.
- Map and analyze a long neuronal pathway
- Map the distribution of cells in a region of interest
- Quantify volume for studies looking at volume change, such as the atrophy of the striatum in a specimen that has the Huntington's gene expressed, or the volume of lesions that appear in a region of interest.
- Analyze the distribution of objects in a region of interest and find the proximity of one object to another or find the distance between the object and an anatomical boundary.
Serial Section Reconstruction
Serial sections are tissue sections that have been cut sequentially with a microtome. To obtain morphometric data about neurons or structures that extend beyond a single tissue section, researchers often create a serial section reconstruction - a digital representation of the serial tissue sections. This method includes tracing the outline of each tissue section at low magnification and tracing the neuron or structure of interest in each tissue section at a higher magnification. This can be done at the microscope or from images with Neurolucida, which has tools to help make this process easier. For example, Neurolucida has an automatic contouring tool to help you trace the outline of the tissue specimen or trace an anatomical boundary within the specimen.
Capture Image Stacks and Whole Slide Images with Neurolucida
Neurolucida can capture 2D (x,y) and 3D (x,y,z) whole slide images (high resolution digital images of your specimen) with the addition of the 2D or 3D Slide Scanning Module, but Neurolucida also supports whole slide images from providers such as Aperio and Hamamatsu. Working with whole slide images gives you the freedom to create neuron reconstructions and analyze them on any computer (even those not connected to a microscope), and also gives you a permanent digital file of your specimen that can be easily stored on Biolucida, MBF’s image viewing, sharing, and storing application.
Each Neurolucida System We Configure Is:
- Based upon your specific research needs. We can provide all necessary hardware.
- Fully integrated – Neurolucida controls motorized stages, cameras, filter wheels etc.
- Scalable, so it fits your budget and allows room for additional capabilities via our imaging modules and hardware upgrades.
- Supported by our team of scientists and technicians who are experts in research software and laboratory hardware. Our scientists also can help you design your study.
- Upgradable to new software versions that are released regularly.
Neurolucida has been developed with support from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)