Obtain Quantitative Morphometric Data Using Neurolucida Explorer
Neurolucida Explorer is the analytical software companion for Neurolucida and Neurolucida 360 and is designed to perform extensive morphometric analysis on neuron reconstructions, serial section reconstructions and brain maps that were created by Neurolucida and Neurolucida 360. It also allows you to visualize and analyze data in a 3D environment while exploring the quantitative measurements. Neurolucida Explorer is highly interactive, allowing researchers to explore their data models and see quantitative metrics generated directly from the models.
Neurolucida Explorer is the most comprehensive solution available for neuroanatomical morphometric analysis. It contains dozens of analyses that allow you analyze thousands of parameters. With Neurolucida Explorer, you can customize many of the analyses to address your specific research questions. You can also easily export the results to most statistical software and spreadsheet software for analysis of populations.
The importance and value of quantitative metrics in Neuroscience is well known but sometimes overlooked. Characterizing the 3D distribution of neurons with quantitative metrics not only reduces experimenter biases in interpretations of results but also allows for developing accurate computational models of anatomy and neurological processes. A large number of neurological disorders can now be characterized with high accuracy using quantitative metrics in addition to behavioral measures. Empowering researchers with the analytical tools needed to produce accurate quantitative metrics results in a greater proportion of the scientific community adopting data analysis methods that are more reproducible and Neurolucida Explorer has been at the forefront of quantitative metrics in Neuroscience for decades with thousands of research citations.
Sophisticated Tools for Each Unique Scientific Investigation
We have removed the obstacles for rapid, high-volume, quantitative data analysis by programming all the complex analyses so you don’t have to. Users can load multiple data sets into Neurolucida Explorer for batch analysis, sparing researchers the time and effort of performing repetitive data analysis steps. Neurolucida Explorer performs multiple analyses efficiently and additively for each data file. No scripting or programming skills are needed to use Neurolucida Explorer to its full capacity. For researchers who prefer to program custom analyses and operations, data can be exported as separate files for loading into other software like Excel, Matlab, Python, and R.
In addition to the sophisticated and comprehensive display of quantitative data in that is displayed in detailed numerical tables, Neurolucida Explorer also shows many graphical displays that allow you to visualize the quantitative data in intuitive ways. These high-quality displays can be easily turned into figures for publications and presentations.
The analyses in Neurolucida Explorer are the result of many years of our collaboration with researchers around the world, and include many requests from neuroscientists who have used our products in their labs and envisioned new analyses that help them better understand the brain and nervous system. All of the analyses in Neurolucida Explorer have been rigorously tested and validated, so that you can be assured of getting the most accurate, reliable and reproducible results.
- Branched Structure – trees, terminals, segments, nodes, synapses, spines, and more
- Branch Angle – Planar, Local, and Local Spine angles
- Vertex - Compare the connectivity between trees such as bifurcation points
- Dendrogram – Visual representation of a tree structure illustrating branches and nodes
- Spines – Quantify features of dendritic spines such as length, volume, branching, and spine type
- Closed Surface – Measurements about processes within a 3D structure
- Proximity – Analyze the distance between two trees or structures
- Tangential Distribution – Analyze the length and distribution of neuronal processes
- 3D Wedge – Analyze the distribution of neuronal processes extending from the centroid of the cell body
- Convex Hull – Measure the size of the dendritic field
- Layer Length – Quantify neuronal nodes, spines, and processes within anatomical regions
- Sholl Analysis – Quantify the branching of individual neurons
- Wedge – Quantify differential growth or retractions of dendritic processes
- Polar Histogram – Quantify and illustrate the directions of dendritic growth
- Fan In Diagram – Quantify and visualize the orientation of dendritic processes
- Colocalization – Determine a cell’s location based on multiple markers used in double labeling
|Polar Histogram||Fan In Diagram|
Users can see specific details of each analysis such as the equations used to analyze the data. Your reconstruction data can be explored in a 3D environment with full control over navigation functions. Special publishing features include exporting your data files to third-party programs such as Microsoft Excel.
Neurolucida Explorer is included with every software license of Neurolucida and Neurolucida 360. You even get one additional Neurolucida Explorer license to run on a separate Windows PC or Mac so you can conveniently analyze and share your data wherever you need. Additional licenses of Neurolucida Explorer can also be purchased separately if you need to share your data with more colleagues.