Image, Track and Quantify C. elegans
WormLab is a system for imaging, tracking, and analyzing C. elegans and other worms. It has a user-friendly software interface with a powerful model-specific tracking algorithm that collects data about a single worm or multiple worms, even through omega bends, reversals, and entanglements. The algorithm analyzes virtually any video file type, including .avi, .wmv, and .mp4.
Capturing Videos with a WormLab System
- Video cameras to acquire videos directly with WormLab
- An illuminator to project smooth, even light onto your plates
- A specially designed camera stand to securely hold the camera in the exact location you want
Simply Follow These 4 Intuitive Steps to Analyze Your Worms:
- Multiple Worm Tracking from video files
- Track selected worms, or all worms in the frame
- Track worms through entanglements and overlap
- Track at high, medium, or low magnification
- Advanced worm model with peristaltic progression movement including elongation
- Multiple-hypothesis tracking results in improved worm tracking
- Discriminates between head and tail using both curvature and motion direction
- Selective viewing of worm outlines, midpoints, tracks, and head/tail markers
- Export locomotion data to Microsoft Excel
- Built-in workflow makes it easy to run WormLab and gather data efficiently
- Load video files from disk or directly from a connected camera with optional camera control
- Support for hundreds of different video codecs included
WormLab presents the tracking data in a multi-tabbed table format. Export all data to Microsoft Excel or cut-and-paste portions to any other application. Frame-by-frame detail data is provided for each worm track as well as track summary data. Analysis output includes:
- Worm Position (Head, midpoint and tail) frame-by-frame
- CenterLine Points (variable resolution, selected by user)
- Speed (instantaneous and moving average)
- Body Area
- Body Wavelength
- Track Length
- Body Bending Angles
- Head Bending Angle
- Omega Bend Detection
- Reversal Detection
How WormLab Works and How It Generates Analyses
Please see the below presentation for details about how WormLab tracks and analyzes C. elegans
A complete system for capturing and analyzing worm videos
System Requirements for Microsoft Windows
For Microsoft Windows PCs, we recommend Windows 7, 8 or 10 64-bit with 4GB RAM and a dual core or better Intel processors (i3,i5,i7).
WormLab can also run on Windows XP 32 bit or Windows 7, 8 or 10 32-bit. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 offers a significant performance improvement over the 32 bit version. WormLab software takes under 100MB of disk space, but adequate hard disk space for video files is needed (250GB recommended) and an internet connection for activation.
System Requirements for Apple OSX
Mac OSX 10.9 or later is required, running on a Mac with Intel processors. For camera support, your Mac will require a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. Requirements include 4GB RAM, adequate hard disk space for video files (250GB recommended) and an internet connection for activation.
Professional Technical Support
When you call us you will speak with a person - not an automated system. Talk to us about your hardware, software, or experimental design questions. Our team includes Ph.D. neuroscientists and experts in microscopy, stereology, neuron tracing, and image processing; ready to help you over the phone or online.