Image, Track and Quantify C. elegans
WormLab is a software for imaging, tracking, and analyzing C. elegans and other worms. It has a user-friendly software interface with a powerful model-specific tracking algorithm that collects data about a single worm or multiple worms, even through omega bends, reversals, and entanglements. The algorithm analyzes virtually any video file type, including .avi, .wmv, and .mp4.
Capturing Videos with a WormLab Imaging System
- Video cameras to acquire videos directly with WormLab
- An illuminator to project smooth, even light onto your plates
- A specially designed camera stand to securely hold the camera in the exact location you want
Simply Follow These 4 Intuitive Steps to Analyze Your Worms:
- Multiple Worm Tracking from video files
- Track selected worms, or all worms in the frame
- Differentiate the behavior of single or multiple worms via robust, patented algorithms identifying:
• Entanglements & Omega bends • Reversals & Pirouettes
• Coiling & Self-overlap • Swimming & Thrashing
- Track at high, medium, or low magnification
- Advanced worm model with peristaltic progression movement including elongation
- Multiple-hypothesis tracking results in improved worm tracking
- Discriminates between head and tail using both curvature and motion direction
- Selective viewing of worm outlines, midpoints, tracks, and head/tail markers
- Export locomotion data to Microsoft Excel
- Built-in workflow guides you through each step to acquire, track & analyze image data from the WormLab System or your own acquisition system
- Load video files from disk or directly from a connected camera with optional camera control
- Support for hundreds of different video codecs included
WormLab presents the tracking data in a multi-tabbed table format. Frame-by-frame detail data is provided for each worm tracked as well as track summary data. Easily customize & export your data to Excel or Matlab, or create your own analyses. Analysis output includes:
- Worm Position (Head, midpoint and tail) frame-by-frame
- CenterLine Points (variable resolution, selected by user)
- Speed (instantaneous and moving average)
- Body Area
- Body Wavelength
- Track Length
- Body Bending Angles
- Head Bending Angle
- Omega Bend Detection
- Reversal Detection
How WormLab Works and How It Generates Analyses
Please see the below presentation for details about how WormLab tracks and analyzes C. elegans
A Complete System for Capturing and Analyzing Worm Videos
System Requirements for Microsoft Windows
For Microsoft Windows PCs, we recommend Windows 8 or 10 64-bit with 4GB RAM and a dual core or better Intel processors (i3,i5,i7).
WormLab can also run on Windows XP 32 bit or Windows 8 or 10 32-bit. The 64-bit version of Windows 8 offers a significant performance improvement over the 32 bit version. WormLab software takes under 100MB of disk space, but adequate hard disk space for video files is needed (250GB recommended) and an internet connection for activation.
System Requirements for Apple OSX
Mac OSX 10.9 or later is required, running on a Mac with Intel processors. For camera support, your Mac will require a Firewire (IEEE1394) port. Requirements include 4GB RAM, adequate hard disk space for video files (250GB recommended) and an internet connection for activation.
When you call us you will speak with a person - not an automated system. Talk to us about your hardware, software, or experimental design questions. Our team includes Ph.D. neuroscientists and experts in microscopy, stereology, neuron tracing, and image processing; ready to help you over the phone or online.
We can also custom develop for you
MBF is proud to help bioscience leaders and experts push the next wave of innovation and discovery to benefit humanity. Given this, it’s possible you’re looking for customized technology for your needs. If that is the case, click here to get in touch with us directly. We’d be happy and honored to see if we can create something together that will move all of us forward.