Whole Slide Images
Stereological analysis with probes such as Cavalieri and Area Fraction Fractionator can be performed on whole slide images rather than using the physical specimen at a microscope. Whole slide images are 3D or 2D digital files of tissue specimen. They allow you to see the entire specimen – x, y, and z if it’s a 3D image - in a digital format, replacing the need for the physical slide. Whole slide images have many advantages, including:
- Freedom to perform stereological analysis on any computer, no need to be restricted to a microscope system
- Easy to store, no need to keep boxes of physical slides
- Creates a permanent representation of specimen, especially useful for tissue that can degrade over time
- Run as many stereological probes as needed without worry of bleaching or fading fluorescent tissue
- Generate publication-quality images
MBF offers a complete whole slide imaging system for stereology which includes the following:
- 3D slide scanning module or 2D slide scanning module for whole slide image acquisition
- Stereo Investigator for stereological analysis
- Biolucida Cloud for whole slide image storing and sharing
This system is compatible with a wide variety of brightfield, widefield fluorescence, confocal microscopes from major manufacturers and works with any size slide.
Watch a short whole slide imaging video on YouTube
When you call us you will speak with a person - not an automated system. Talk to us about your hardware, software, or experimental design questions. Our team includes Ph.D. neuroscientists and experts in microscopy, stereology, neuron tracing, and image processing; ready to help you over the phone or online.